As the old saying goes, if you build a Shopify store they will come, right? Probably not.
Especially if your Shopify store doesn’t have a solid Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategy put into place.
The main objective of a Shopify store is to find potential clients and convert them into loyal, repeat customers. Shopify SEO strategies will help search engines like Google find your store thereby helping shoppers find you as well.
Maximize your Shopify store’s organic traffic, and multiply its conversion rates with the following Shopify SEO tips:
Shopify SEO Tips
First and foremost, it is important for shoppers to have a positive user experience. Simple layout decisions can help optimize your Shopify Store and your SEO ranking. As a result, when customers can easily navigate both your store and products, sales should soon follow.
- Select a page layout that’s both visually pleasing and consistent. Ensure you have strong calls to action (CTA) that are clearly marked and a layout that’s easy to navigate. Keep in mind, whitespace can create an easy user experience.
- Create unique page titles and metatags for your pages, remove duplicate content, and set-up 301 redirects for any old products.
- Use professional, high-quality images taken at pleasing angles. Be sure to optimize each image with plainly descriptive language, strong alt tags, and upload at a reduced size.
- Create unique content with strong keywords which effectively describes each product to the customer. Be sure to include canonical tags and domain canonicalization for every page.
- Integrate Google Analytics and submit your sitemap.xml to Google Search Console (see below).
Shopify SEO Keywords
Using targeted keywords when describing products will help your customers better understand the products while simultaneously helping your Shopify store rank higher in search engines.
Targeted keywords match the search terms your potential customer types into search engines causing your Shopify store to pop up in their search. Having trouble coming up with the right keywords? Try online tools like Word Tracker for keyword ideas and keyword search frequency.
Ranking Faster on Google
Hope to be found fast? Get to know Google…as best as you can, anyway. Shopify SEO doesn’t always have to be complicated. These simple steps will help optimize your Shopify store and help it gain a strong authority with search engines:
- Register your SSL certificate with Google and let your customer know they’re on a secure site. Metrics suggest secure SSL pages outperform similar non-secure competitors.
- Take advantage of Google’s Search Console features. Once registered, your Shopify store begins receiving amazing information like errors and missing pages, server related issues, and broken links.
- Your Shopify’s store sitemap is basically a list of your store’s website pages. It’s important to submit your store’s sitemap once you’re registered with Google’s search console. Since Shopify has a built-in XML sitemap functionality, it’s easy to submit directly to Google. Once submitted it indexes your site quickly and accurately.
Congrats on learning these easy Shopify SEO tips! Implementing these simple steps will put you well on your way to running a successful Shopify store.
Feeling a little overwhelmed with SEO? We’re here to help! Schedule an appointment today.